Healthcare volunteering opportunities
VCU Health Systems
VCU Medical Center is fortunate to have hundreds of volunteers that give of their time to help make the hospital a better place. This fast-paced environment provides many opportunities for those who want to serve.
At VCU Medical Center, volunteers:
- Deliver flowers and mail to the patients
- Read to children
- Calm nervous families of patients receiving treatments or having surgery
- Visit with patients
- Work in the Three Bears Gift Shop
- Assist in the clinics
To volunteer, call Volunteer Services at 804-828-0922 or visit their VCU Health systems College/grad student volunteering information.
Cross Over Ministries
Cross Over employees and volunteers are committed to upholding CrossOver’s vision of “creating a healthy, vibrant community where every person is restored by the compassionate, healing love of God.” For more information visit Cross Over Ministry or contact Jackie Griggs, Volunteer Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Health Brigade (formerly Fan Free Clinic) provides quality health services, especially to those least served, in a compassionate and non-judgmental environment.
Non-Licensed Volunteer Opportunities:
- Medical Clinic Volunteer (skilled; non-professional)
- Mental Health & Wellness Services Department Volunteer (skilled; non-professional)
- Health Education & Outreach Volunteer
Not all volunteering opportunities are available at all times.
Sheltering Arms Rehabilitation
The Sheltering Arms volunteer program assists in the fulfillment of our mission of providing rehabilitation services of the highest caliber with compassion and respect, enhancing the quality of life to those persons experiencing disabilities and offers financial assistance to those in need.
The following are just a few of the areas where volunteers serve throughout the organization:
- Information Desk
- Mail Delivery
- Medical Records
- Resource Library
- Human Resources
- Business Office
- Patient Care
- Club Rec
Contact the Volunteer Service Department for more information.
The Virginia Home
The Virginia Home provides loving, lifelong residential care to adults with permanent physical disabilities. Each member of our care team is committed to service with dignity, dedication, and compassion for the 130 residents who live here. Volunteers are truly the heart of our Home.
- Resident Companion
- Computer Assistant
- Community Outing Companion
- Department Assistance
Contact The Virgina Home volunteer opportunities and to fill out an application.
Volunteering Opportunities at Local Hospitals & Rescue Squads
- Chippenham Hospital – (804)323-8882
- Henrico Doctors' Hospital – (804)289-4999
- John Randolph Medical Center – (804)541-7417
- Johnston-Willis Hospital – (804)330-2082
- Parham Doctors' Hospital – (804)747-5600
- Retreat Doctors' Hospital – (804)254-5262
- Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center – (540)498-4142
- Forest View Rescue Squad
- Tuckahoe Rescue Squad
Bon Secours Health System
Bon Secours volunteers change people's lives, including their own. A variety of activities are available to you as a volunteer that can involve direct contact with patients. Some may entail working with families, visitors, or community members while others occur behind the scenes.
- St. Mary's Hospital
- Memorial Regional Medical Center
- Richmond Community Hospital
- St. Francis Medical Center
- Delta Epsilon Mu Pre-Health Fraternity (DEM)
- Engineering World Health at VCU (EWH at VCU)
- Cancer Awareness Team (CAT)
- Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA)
- Project REACH
Information about these organizations can be found on RamsConnect.
For suggestions on many more community service options related to health care or any other area of interest, e-mail Heather Nunes at email@example.com or visit the Student Organization Development Office in room 018 in the University Student Commons.