An interview is simply a conversation between the candidate and a hiring manager. An interview provides you the opportunity to highlight your skills, express your personality and demonstrate your knowledge about the school.
For those interviewing for teaching positions with the K-12 public school system, you will likely be required to complete a screening interview with the county or school division human resources office prior to interviewing for an actual position for a particular school. If you are a right fit for that school division, the human resources representative will refer you to the principal for a school-based interview ...
If you’ve never interviewed before, explore the interviewing page to learn the basics of a successful interview.
Typical screening interview questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- Why did you go into teaching?
- What is your teaching philosophy?
- Tell me about a lesson you taught and how you planned it.
- Tell me about a time you were faced with a difficult situation and how you handled it.
- What is your classroom management plan/style?
- How do you facilitate learning in your classroom?
- How do you use technology in your classroom?
- Why do you want to teach in our school division?
- Do you have any questions for me?
Typical school interview questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- Why do you want to teach at this school?
- How do you assess your students’ learning?
- Tell me about how current trends in education are influencing your teaching strategy.
- How do you make sure you meet the needs of a student with an IEP?
- What methods do you use to communicate with parents?
- What was your greatest challenge during your student teaching experience?
- How would you describe your teaching style?
- If I were to observe your class, what would I see you and your students doing on a typical day?
- How do you motivate students to become active learners in your classroom?
- What do you expect from your school administrators?
- How do you work with a difficult student?
- How do you infuse the Standards of Learning into your curriculum?
You’ll feel more comfortable during your interview with a little practice first. InterviewStream is web-based video interface that allows you to respond to a series pre-recorded interview questions from your computer. Afterward, you will be able to review your recording to see how you did.
To access InterviewStream, log in to HireVCURams and click the InterviewStream button.
Got an interview coming up? Practice with one of our career advisers. Schedule a one-hour mock interview - we will help you prepare to answer interview questions and offer tips to help you make an excellent impression.
To schedule a practice interview, call 804-828-1645 or log in to HireVCURams. Please email a copy of your resume and the job description to the adviser you are meeting with at least 24 hours prior to your mock interview.