An interview is simply a conversation dialogue between the candidate for a particular position and a hiring manager responsible for finding the right person. An interview provides you the opportunity to highlight your skills, express your personality and demonstrate your knowledge about the school.
For those interviewing for faculty positions with the K-12 public school system, you will likely be required to complete a screening interview with the county or school division human resources office prior to interviewing for an actual position for a particular school. Screening interviews are typically less formal and shorter than the interview at the school site. If you are a right fit for that school division, the human resources representative will refer you to a school to interview with the principal as well as the lead teacher for the grade or subject you would be teaching.
If you’ve never interviewed before, explore the interviewing page to learn the basics of a successful interview. Nearly all interviews contain two parts, common questions about your past experience and situation-based questions to gauge your fit for the position. Afterward, you’ll be given the opportunity to ask questions of the interviewer.
Typical screening interview questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- Why did you go into teaching?
- What is your teaching philosophy?
- Tell me about a lesson you taught and how you planned it.
- Tell me about a time you were faced with a difficult situation and how you handled it.
- What is your classroom management plan/style?
- How do you facilitate learning in your classroom?
- How do you use technology in your classroom?
- Why do you want to teach in our school division?
- Do you have any questions for me?
Typical school interview questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- Why do you want to teach at this school?
- How do you assess your students’ learning?
- Tell me about how current trends in education are influencing your teaching strategy.
- How do you make sure you meet the needs of a student with an IEP?
- What methods do you use to communicate with parents?
- What was your greatest challenge during your student teaching experience?
- How would you describe your teaching style?
- If I were to observe your class, what would I see you and your students doing on a typical day?
- How do you motivate students to become active learners in your classroom?
- What do you expect from your school administrators?
- How do you work with a difficult student?
- How do you infuse the Standards of Learning into your curriculum?
You’ll feel more comfortable during your interview with a little practice first. InterviewStream is web-based video interface that allows you to respond to a series pre-recorded interview questions from your computer. Afterward, you will be able to review you recording to see how you did.
To access InterviewStream, log in to your HireVCURams account and click the InterviewStream button.
Got an interview coming up? Practice with one of our career advisers. Schedule a one-hour practice interview and we will show you how to answer likely interview questions and offer tips to help you make an excellent impression.
To schedule a practice interview, call 804-828-1645 or log in to HireVCURams. Be sure to bring your resume and a copy of the job description with you to your mock interview.